University of Maine’s Cooperative Extension: Small Business Education

Resources for Food Entrepreneurs
Orono, Maine – University of Maine Cooperative Extension has launched a new online resource designed to be particularly useful to aspiring or existing food manufacturers wanting to produce specialty food products. VISIT the website to learn more!

Manomet’s Grocery Stewardship Certification (GSC)

Efficiency of store operations through a sustainability lens (GSC)

Independent Maine grocers have an exciting opportunity to enroll in Manomet’s Grocery Stewardship Certification (GSC) program at no cost thanks to a recent grant. This program gives grocery store owners a look at the efficiency of store operations through a sustainability lens. More than 700 grocery stores nationwide are enrolled in Manomet’s GSC, making it the leading grocery sustainability program in North America. Through this project, the GSC will recommend additional no-cost/low-cost operational opportunities to save money/resources and generate revenue at your store and provide certification for you and your store management as strong environmental and community stewards.

The stores enrolled in this program receive recommendations for no or low-cost initiatives that can save them up to $20,000 or more per year! It takes approximately 3 hours of your time to reap these benefits. Download the flyer to learn more!

Bow Street Market in Freeport recently took advantage of the GSC program; read about their experiences in this Mainebiz article.

Start or Grow a Business


To get started, it’s wise to:

1) Develop a business plan, complete with pro-forma financial statements.

2) Decide whether to operate as a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability corporation or corporation.

3) It’s best to consult an attorney if you decide to incorporate, form a limited liability company or a partnership. Incorporation papers are available at the State, Bureau of Corporations – 207.624.7736 or

4) It’s also critical to protect the name of your business by filing a Trademark or Service Mark with the Secretary of State’s office;

There are a number of local, regional and state organizations ready to be of assistance, but it can be confusing.  The MGFPA should be your first stop, so please pick up the phone to call – 207.622.4461 or send an email to


The Maine SBDC has been recognized as a leader in the small business economic and development arenas. The SBDC concept is a simple but effective one: assist entrepreneurs and small businesses through no-cost confidential business advising and training.

The Maine SBDC program helps build and strengthen small businesses through business advising, training and educational resources. Certified business advisors provide guidance on topics such as business feasibility, business plan development, capital acquisition, financial management, marketing and sales, e-commerce, customer service, personnel management, small business strategic planning and more. Visit: 


Looking for help with Starting a Business, Business Licensing,
Corporate Resources, Business Taxes, or Employer Resources? Visit:


Learn more about Maine’s unbeatable location, workforce, and training programs. Visit: