Doing Business in Maine

Whether you’re growing, producing, processing, manufacturing, distributing or selling food in the State of Maine, your business may be required to obtain a series of licenses and permits. The following information is presented systematically to ensure compliance. Please be advised that this list is effective as of November 2016 and may be subject to changes in federal and state law. It is in your best interest to visit the websites for the most up-to-date information.

There are a number of local, regional and state organizations ready to be of assistance, but it can be confusing.  The MGFPA should be your first stop, so please pick up the phone to call – 207.622.4461 or send an email to


 Licensing Requirements

Federal Requirements


1: IRS – Form. Apply for a Federal Employer Identification (EIN) Number or Federal Tax Identification number at and click Online Services.  You are required to file this if you: pay wages to one or more employees; or are required to have an EIN to sue on a specific return, statement or document or plan to incorporate.  Call 1.800.829.3676.

2: Most food facilities are required to register with the FDA.   Registrations are required to be renewed beginning on October 1 and ending on December 31 of each even-numbered year.

3: Alcohol & Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau. The TTB’s National Revenue Center collects tax revenues; screens applications; issues permits and approves notices or registrations; reconciles returns, reports, and claims; and provides technical assistance to Bureau employees and industry members on related laws and regulations. They may be reached at 877-882-3277 or at Application form #TTB F 5630.5d.

State and Local Requirements


1: Establish a bank account. Several license applications will require completed bank account information.

2: Visit your municipal office to see what licenses or permits are needed. These vary by community but may include retail license, building occupancy permit and victualer’s license and more.

3: Submit incorporation papers to the Secretary of State. If you are a corporation or wish to create one, it is recommended that you contact the Secretary of State at 207-624-7736 and speak to the Corporate Examining Section or visit their website at

4: Maine State Income Tax Withholding and Unemployment Insurance.
– Apply for a sales tax number and unemployment compensation number by visiting – click on Sales/Use and Service Provider Tax. Call them at 207-624-9693 or send them an email at or
– Have employees complete and keep in employer’s files:  Employee’s Withholding Certificate W-4 obtained from the IRS and Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 obtained from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Download the form here:



5: Grocery Store & Food Production Licenses. Apply for a Food & Fuel License with the Maine Department of Agriculture. Application fees vary and all are subject to satisfactory inspections. Visit or call them at 207-287-3741.

6: Beer & Wine License. Apply for an Off Premise Liquor License with the Bureau of Alcoholic Beverages & Lottery Operations by visiting Click on Liquor Licensing. Application fees may vary and all are subject to satisfactory inspection. Call them at 207-624-7220. Visit their office at 10 Water Street, Hallowell, Maine 04347.

7: Liquor License. Apply for an Agency Liquor Store License with the Bureau of Alcoholic Beverages & Lottery Operations by visiting  Application fees may vary. They may be reached at 207-624-7220. Visit their office at 10 Water Street, Hallowell, Maine 04347.

8: Food Stamps or SNAP. Applying to accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits at your store is a simple three-step process: get a US Department of Agriculture account, fill out an application online, and mail your supporting documentation to complete your file. Visit for complete information or call them at 877-832-4369.

9: WIC Program. To obtain vendor authorization and subsequent training call 800-437-9300 or visit Acceptance is contingent on a satisfactory inspection and approval of food and pricing information. They have offices throughout the state. Visit their website for a complete listing.

10: Retail Tobacco License. To obtain a Retail Tobacco License call 207-287-5671 or visit Visit their office directly at 286 Water Street, Augusta.

11: Retail Seafood Licenses. To obtain Retail Seafood Licenses call 207-624-6550 or visit their website for complete listing information. Their offices are located at 2 Beech Street, Hallowell.

12: Plant License. To obtain a Nursery Stock license to sell plants, contact the Maine Department of Agriculture, Division of Plant Industry at 207-287-3891 or visit their website and click on licensing. Their office is located at Deering Building, Blossom Way, Augusta.

13: Maine Lottery Tickets. To obtain a Lottery application, call the Maine State Lottery Commission at 800-452-8777 (in state) or 207-287-6758 or print off an application by visiting   Completed applications must be mailed to the Maine State Lottery Commission, 8 State House Station, Augusta, Maine 04333. Lottery personnel will install equipment and provide equipment upon application acceptance.

14: General use Pesticide Dealer License. To obtain a General Use License to sell certain pesticides, visit or call their office at 207-287-2731.

15: Maine Milk Commission Monthly Pricing Reports: The Maine Milk Commission sets the minimum wholesale and retail price for milk every month. Milk may not be sold below set minimums. To obtain monthly price information, or contact the Maine Milk Commission at 207-287-7521.

16:  Obtain Workers’ Compensation Insurance.

17:  Required Labor Posters.  To obtain labor posters call the Department of Labor at 207.624.4100 or visit their website at  Visit this website to learn more about Occupational Safety and Health Act.

18: Good Shepherd Food Bank: The Good Shepherd Food Bank will arrange pick up of unsold items suitable to be donated. To learn more, call their Auburn facility at 207-782-3554 or visit their website

Food Licenses and Maine Regulatory Information


Whether you’re selling commercially, as a home-food processor or at farmers’ markets you’re required to obtain a license to sell food products in Maine.

19. Food license applications can be accessed online through the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation & Forestry, Quality Assurance and Regulations web site: Application for food licenses.